Monday, December 10, 2012

J'adore Antwerp/Tobias van Hattem

One day while I was in Antwerp, I was feeling a bit unsettled. I am sure it was from all the travel and the fact that I was in the middle of writing a NYT post, but hey...what's a girl to do. This girl goes for a walk! And that day in Antwerp, my walk led me to Tobias van Hattem. I could hear him playing his piano for a few blocks away and just unconsciously walked towards it. And then I just sat for about  a 1/2 hour and listened. I was not alone, in fact he had quite a crowd. It was wonderful just communing with my fellow man in the city streets through music. A rare experience.
Click here for a clip I found on youtube. this clip actually doesn't do his playing justice...
He told me he plays all the time and has a place nearby where he "parks" his piano. For some reason I love the idea of seeing where he parks the piano. I wonder how far he pushes it. He mentioned it is quite close, but before he said he was pushing it from home and that was really far...





No comments:

Post a Comment